Wednesday, May 21, 2008

RAWA

Last Saturday I had an interview with someone from the PR department of the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan (RAWA). I can tell you that this was quite a special event, because they don’t have a formal office. This does not sound as serious as it actually is, because RAWA needs to do her work undercover due to security reasons (Check out their website for more information and to find out how you can support them)!

RAWA is a political women organization and from my understanding they are the only political one. I am very impressed by their work, both inside and outside of refugee camps. They also have houses where women can live if they cannot endure the violence put on them by their husband and/or in laws anymore. Really quite special! Even though they seem quite black and white, their work is really important. There are not many women here in Afghanistan who have the nerve and the possibilities to do what they do, both on social and economical level. They want to raise awareness amongst women through education and literacy courses, so they will learn about their rights and are ready to “struggle with their husbands” (as they put it) in order to strengthen their position. I spent most of my day working on a short radio documentary of my interview with them. Here’s a link!

No comments: