Sunday, April 27, 2008

I made it!

It was only yesterday that I wrote about Dubai, but I already arrived at Kabul airport 3 hours ago and it all went surprisingly fast. Maybe you heard about the attack (BBC article) on President Karzai only a couple of hours ago here in Kabul. This happened during the military parade, part of the celebrations during revolution day. You can read the article for more details. It is safe where I am right now.

Because of the Wilders movie, the Dutch embassy is evacuated and if the situation worsens, such as attacks on specifically Dutch people then we have to be evacuated to a green zone as well. I think the situation is a bit worse than I expected, but there are very good security plans and measures and there are also Afghan people who guard the house and the offices.

The drive from the airport to the house I'm at was very impressive. You can definitely see all the destruction dating back to the Soviet invasion. But there are also apartment complexes and huge very fancy wedding halls being (re-)build, which is very hopeful.

Just a short update for now!

PS. For everyone who asked me questions about the weather: It doesn't get warmer than 36/37 degrees Celsius, because of the height. When the sun is down it can be very cold.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

, gelukkig dat jij ok bent. Ik denk dat jij een " most impressive time " zou beleven. Wees voorzichtig and take care girl XXXXAnouk